A Travellerspoint blog

My view on the Embera Indians

Development for the Embera Indians

The Emberas are an Indian tribe in Panama who, just like all Indians, have experienced a harsh history. During the time of the exploration of the New World, the Embera Indians were also attacked and the Spanish attempted conquer and convert the Indians to Christians. However, these Indians wouldn’t change or give in therefore they fled and split up. Today they live throughout Panama and even now aren’t treated equally by the state. An example is that a dam was built a little farther by the lake where they live. Because of this they had to move their whole town. The Panamanian government told them they would get money back for what it cost them. However since it happened, which is five years ago they haven’t gotten a single penny. The Embera Indians even started a law suit against the government, but this was never even looked at. They have also asked the government for more civilization, this includes electricity to where they live and clean water, but even this is too much asked.
In most aspects they now live as we lived about 100 years ago. However, they really want to change this. After living in one of the Embera towns for a little less than a week we found out they would really like transform. The Emberas want to increase the tourism in their town, sell more arts and crafts, get some kind of protection of their natural environment, get investment in fishing, and create a cultural center. The reason for this is of course money, with this money they want to become more developed. However, I have to disagree with some of the things they desire. Getting more tourism, a cultural center, selling more arts and crafts, and investing in fishing will cause their culture and traditions to be lost. On the other hand, protection of the natural environment is definitely something positive. In addition, I think they should spend more time on education.
Firstly, the Emberas want to increase the tourism in their town. We, School at Sea, stayed at four huts. Each hut earned 150 dollar for the five nights we stayed there. For them, this is a lot of money. Much more than anything they earn in a month. From this aspect it is quite understandable. However, what I feel they don’t realize is what an impact it could have on their culture. After awhile they will have enough of having people in their homes the whole time and also enough money to build a hotel. Before one knows it the Emberas will become a tourist attraction. However, they told us they absolutely don’t want this. The Emberas want to keep the culture they have now, besides that is what they have been fighting for since the Spanish came to invade the New World. Increasing tourism would be harmful to their cultures and traditions.
The Emberas used to have their own language, but we noticed now that only very few speak it. Most of them speak Spanish, classes are also given in Spanish, however according to our Spanish teacher their Spanish is not fluent. Also, they had a party and most of the people started dancing a sort of salsa which is also a Spanish influence. When they were showing us their traditional dance, we noticed that most of the women, especially the younger ones, didn’t know what they were doing. It was evident that their culture was going lost and this without much contact of the ‘Western’ world.
To help tourism, the Emberas also want to build a cultural center. Kind of like an open air museum with museum and copies of the huts they live in. In Dominica we, School at Sea, also went to an open air museum. To us it felt really unreal and we also completely didn’t get a sense of how the Indians lived there. It is true that this would help to inform the world about their culture, but I wouldn’t be sure how many people would be interested in seeing such thing since it doesn’t really live an impression. Nonetheless, if the Emberas would build a cultural center outside their town, it wouldn’t harm them but may stimulate their income, which would be beneficial for their living conditions.
Thirdly, selling more arts and crafts could be helpful for two reasons. First of all, it would spread their cultures and secondly, it would help their flow of income. Nevertheless, I don’t think this would help or work. When we visited Panama City we saw their crafts in enough shops, but if they want to earn more they probably have to decrease the price and increase the number of crafts. This would mean they wouldn’t spend as much time creating, for example a basket or would find machines which could do it for them. However, this would create the opposite effect of they want. Their culture wouldn’t be shown or spread since it isn’t the traditional way of making things. Nonetheless, if they could find an efficient way to produce the crafts that doesn’t cause their culture to go lost it could work and help.
The last point I disagree with is increasing and modernizing the ways of fishing. Some of the boys of School at Sea joined some of the Indians in fishing. The Emberas go swimming by using a flashlight to attract the fishes, and then they shoot the harpoon at the fish. According to the boys of School at Sea it was really impressive to see. Also, they tried to do it themselves but it was really hard. If the Emberas started mass fishing they would again lose their culture. Fishing with big nets is not how they usually fish. Not only would they lose their culture, it might also be catastrophic for the environment. Too many fishes would be taken out of the lake and this would cause extinction of fish in the lake. In addition, I highly doubt the people on land would pay the Emberas the money they deserve for fishing.
It may seem paternalistic, as if I think I know what is better for them. However, the point is that they don’t make the same mistakes as we did 100 years ago. Also, it is obvious that renewal doesn’t blend with sustaining culture and tradition.
I do understand that the Emberas need more money to improve their education (they have an elementary school in their village) and improve hygiene. The water they drink isn’t clean, their toilets are actually big holes in the ground, and they don’t have proper showers. In addition, there is no medical care in the neighborhood, thus if someone is in need of immediate medical help they probably won’t survive. Consequently, most of the Emberas die at an early age. A problem is that once the Emberas do get more education, they leave to the city. This is also the reason why the Emberas always need to get teachers from ‘the outside’.
Even so, I do believe it is utter most important that the rainforest around them gets protected by a company like UNESCO. The rainforest in this area is beautiful and almost untouched. However, this already changed when the dam was built since the water level rose and thus some part of the jungle was washed away. Not only is the nature of the jungle important to protect, the fauna in the jungle should be protected as well. This rainforest is filled with hundreds of birds, different kinds of monkeys, and a lot more. Moreover, the inhabitants of the jungle, the Emberas, need to be protected as well. But from what I have heard and seen the Panamanian government is not going to take care of this. Therefore, it is of essence that someone from the outside with power takes a look at the case of the Emberas.
In conclusion, the Emberas need help, however not in the way they assume. Their first thought is to start making money, but is a lot more important that they become educated and that their hygiene is improved. The first step to earning more money is having a better education. An improvement in education can also lead the Emberas to see that their hygiene needs improvement. Getting more tourism, a cultural center, selling more arts and crafts, and investing in fishing will harm their tradition and culture. Conversely, keeping the rainforest intact will help sustain the environment and keep their tradition. I think eventually, if things don’t unfold as they expect them to, their culture and tradition will all be lost and the process has already been started.

Posted by meimeilin 13:33 Archived in Panama Comments (0)

A little message

semi-overcast 20 °C
View School at Sea on meimeilin's travel map.

Hey everyone,
I am currently in Bermuda. but still working on my blog for Cuba. So yeah, I am quite a bit behind but we have been busy and experienced a lot of new things till now. All of which I will tell you about as soon as I get everything updated! Anyway, there are only 5 weeks left, time really does fly.. Well, I will try to enjoy as much as I can.
Kisses from Bermuda!
- Meilin

Posted by meimeilin 13:22 Archived in Bermuda Comments (0)

The rough days at sea

View School at Sea on meimeilin's travel map.

Hey everyone!
After three long weeks in Panama, we finally left Bocas Del Toro for Maria la Gorda in Cuba. Cuba the country of salsa, music, old cars, and cigars, but also the country of Fidel Castro and communism; that promises to be an interesting trip. However, the first challenge is to get to Cuba which happened with quite some obstacles.
On February 1 we left for Costa Rica where we were going to tank up and pick up the coordinator of this whole trip who was going to sail with us till Cuba. In the evening we arrived and anchored in front of the coast of Costa Rica, which was also when the coordinator arrived. That night we watched a “music video” of our parents who wished us good luck, which was quite humorous to see. Also, we got liquorice! Anyway, the next morning we were tanking up and preparing to leave when it turned out the Costa Ricans had poured refinery oil instead of diesel. I have no idea what they thought we were going to do with refinery oil, but okay. Of course we still had a little diesel left so now the refinery oil was mixed with diesel which meant the same truck couldn’t pump out the oil he had poured in. After waiting another day or even a bit more we finally had diesel and properly left for Cuba.
The first few days at sea were very quite. We had almost no wind and since the government had given us an exact time and date we were supposed to arrive we took it slowly. The motor was off and we only sailed. I think we went about 2 knots. One night there was basically no wind so we didn’t even have to steer because it didn’t make a difference.
Once we got closer to Maria la Gorda, the wind speed picked up and the government decided for some unknown reason we weren’t allowed to anchor in Maria la Gorda but we had to sail to Marina Hemingway which was about 140 nautical miles away, which meant another day or two sailing. This also meant that our trip in Cuba was shortened by two days and that I had a kitchen shift.
This was probably the worst kitchen shift I had ever had. First of all it was on a Sunday. Everybody was watching films while I had to cook which is not that bad, but on that day it was. The night before I barely slept since it was so warm (the windows couldn’t be opened because there were constantly coming waves over deck) and we were constantly moved which caused me to slide through my bed. At 7 we were woken up to set breakfast, everything went fine but I noticed that I couldn’t do much since I got a bit seasick. The other person in our kitchen shift was sick which meant it depended on the two of us. Well, the morning started well. The other girl in my kitchen shift fell on the floor while the milk also tipped over and fell. Then we were making bread and a whole bowl of flour fell over. The original plan was to make pasta Bolognese for lunch. But seeing as nothing could stand still even on anti-slip mats we decided to just warm up some goulash soup. This was also quite a mission. I had to pour the soup over into bowls while the ship was moving like crazy but with a lot of effort it happened. Luckily we had some sense of humor so with everything that happened we just laughed because it was actually quite hilarious. In addition, a lot of people helped us, which really saved the day. After lunch the flour fell on the floor again, all of the cutlery, a plate, a cup, and myself. We were washing dishes when a big wave came and I slid across the kitchen floor. Luckily after lunch I got used to the waves and didn’t feel sick anymore. As snack we still managed to make brownies and then for dinner with lots of help especially of the captain we made mashed potatoes, meat, and some vegetables. This day was so tiring and we had gotten so dirty from everything that fell over and washing dishes which didn’t exactly work since all the water kept spilling over the sink. Finally we had reached the end of the day and all that was left to do was scrub the floor when a whole glass bottle of soya sauce went over the floor. We couldn’t stop laughing. Of course this had to happen. With a lot of effort we scrubbed down the whole kitchen and left as soon as we could. That evening I went to bed early, I was so dead.
The next day we arrived in Marina Hemingway when we had to clean the entire ship because the Cuban authority was going to check our ship. In two hours we managed to get everything clean and have our bags packed. With dogs they closely checked the cleanness of each corner of the ship. Luckily it was approved by the authorities and we were able to go on land. That day (February 13th) we started our trip through Cuba!
- Meilin

Posted by meimeilin 16:42 Comments (0)

Trip to Bocas del Toro, Panama

self-organized! week three panama

View School at Sea on meimeilin's travel map.

DSC_3938.jpgThe Self-Organized Bocas del Toro
Let me start off with something that happened which was really unexpected. One of the guys of the ship had to leave. The reasoning behind this was because his school decided suddenly that they didn’t want to cooperate at all and he didn’t feel like doing another year over so went back home. He had left for a couple of days to spend time with his dad, this isn’t actually allowed but there was some stuff going on so they had made an exception. What his dad had actually wanted to discuss with him is whether he wanted to stay or not and he made the stunning decision to leave. This was so unexpected! Everybody was in shock, including me.
Anyways, back to what happened the week after we went to the boarding school.
The last week we were in Panama we spent travelling from Atalaya (where the boarding school was) to Bocas del Toro (where the ship was). First, we got split into three groups and each group had to organize a trip to Bocas along with a theme. I had gotten a really cool group and the organization went flexibly. We got a map and planned our trip along some points. Also every two people got a topic and then had to take care of these topics. I chose food, which meant I had to take care of food everyday and make sure we had proper meals. However, we kind of decided with everybody what we were going eat, just like all the other plans. In addition we got a certain amount of money per person per day so we had to make sure everything fit in between the budget. There was a competition on who could organize the cheapest trip and who had best researched their topic.
DAY 1: We started the day out by taking our first ever bus by our self in Panama. This bus went from Atalaya to Santiago and then we took a bus to Playa Las Lajas. In Las Lajas, the town, we ate the traditional Panamanian rice with chicken and beans, which we were actually fed up with but decided this was the cheapest and most filling meal. After buying cookies in the supermarket we took a taxi to our hostel which was 180 meters from the beach! Later we realized we paid way too much for the taxis, 20 dollars for two taxis going 15 km. Anyway, we arrived at our hostel, Lajas Club, which was still kind of in building. It was a really cool hostel; we slept in a sort of hut which had two rooms and a porch. The beds were two person beds so some people got beds for themselves but I shared my bed with my friend. As soon as we got our bathing suits we crossed the road to go to the beach! What really surprised me was that the beach was completely empty and it was about 2 in the afternoon, especially since it is the longest beach in Panama (22 km!). When we had enough of the sun and the sea we went back to the hostel to shower under the outside shower and then my friend and I went back to the beach to film the sun under. As I mentioned before we had to think of a theme and later present about it. Our theme was ‘Western’ culture vs. the street culture of Panama and this would be filmed. As I really like taking pictures and filming I was in charge of making sure we had enough film material. I might even put the film here on Travellerspoint, but the people do however talk in Dutch. Anyway, we filmed the beach and some of the guys went for an afternoon jog along the beach. In the evening we had dinner, I ate spaghetti with shrimps which by the way was delicious! This was definitely better than the rice with chicken. Tired from the first day of travel we went to bed on time, to get up quite early the next morning because we had to travel to David.
DAY 2: We got up early and bought breakfast in the supermarket in Las Lajas. I must say the bread in Panama is disgusting. It was one big air bubble and its super sweet. It’s probably only edible when toasted. Anyway, after bread with peanut butter and jelly we left from Las Lajas for David, which is a city in Panama. At around 11 we arrived in our hostel in David. This hostel was called Bambu Hostel and was probably the chillest hostel we stayed at. The owner of the hostel was American and the people who stayed there had some amazing stories. For example one of the girls there was an amazing singer and a man traveled from Peru to David by bicycle and sold his jewelry for a living. After we arrived in the hostel, which by the way has a pool, we left to eat lunch. Then we explored David a bit and for our project went to a Chiriqui mall. This mall however, was not very Western. They tried to make it Western but it still had a sort of Panamanian twist to it. We left the mall quickly and together with two others I went to the supermarket to buy dinner for that night because we were going to make wraps and the next morning we were going to eat pancakes. The supermarket had literally everything except for muesli and cruesli. Outside the supermarket we bought one huge watermelon it was about twice the size of a normal watermelon. At the hostel we swam and then made dinner which turned out to be delicious. Across the street from the hostel there was a cockfight happening. Some people of our group went but I decided this wasn’t for me. After seeing the videos one of the guys took I was happy I didn’t go because it was really gross. The chickens were pecking each other and bleeding and the men on the outside were cheering on the chickens.
DAY 3: This day we slept in since we didn’t have to travel and only really were going to go to a fair. It was called La Candelaria Feria. The fair wasn’t located in David, but a bit outside so we had to travel by bus there. However, it was too bad that the fair only really came alive at night. We expected a really authentic market, but it was quite touristic. Still, they did sell cows. There we ate lunch and then went back to our hostel. At the hostel we chilled with some of the people there and bought dinner. Dinner that night was going to be delicious! We were having a barbeque and after that we roasted marshmallows. I was completely full.
DAY 4: After eggs for breakfast we left for Bocas del Toro. This trip was really long and along the way the bus even had a flat tire so we stopped in the middle of a mountain to have the tire replaced. But after the journey we arrived safely in Almirante where we had Chinese for lunch. There we took a water taxi to Bocas Town and then another water taxi to Isla de Bastimento where our last hostel, Bocas Bounds, was located. All the traveling that day made it quite expensive. In the hostel we met one of the other groups because it turned out they had booked the same hostel. However, we decided this was definitely our least favorite hostel. It was a sort of big organization or something, the food was overpriced, and the people at the hostel were not the nicest. For me it was a little too touristy, however they did say it was the best location to surf which looking at the beaches it did seem like. One of the surfers staying at the hostel said he like it because there weren’t so many people around. For dinner we ate at the hostel and then after I took a night swim. It was actually quite random we were walking along the beach with a couple of my friends and then my friend and I decided hey, let’s swim! So we swam in our clothing in the dark, it was really cool and the ocean was warm.
DAY 5: This was the last day with our Bocas group and we spent the morning surfing and internet-ing. The guys who surfed had gotten red marks on their stomachs from the surfboards which quite funny since one of them was too stubborn to put on a shirt so he had an extra red stomach. We finally left Bocas Bounds at around 3 to go to Bocas Town and after that have dinner. Bocas Town was really lively filled with a lot of young people; I am assuming most of them were surfers. After walking up and down the main boulevard we ate together with the whole group. At this restaurant there were a few Americans who were extremely interested in what we were doing, so again we explained to them what the meaning was of our trip. It was really fun to spend the last night with our group. We were being picked up by the side boat from the restaurant. There we also met the other groups. One of the groups, which weren’t in the hostel with us, had things stolen from them on the beach! They lost around 400 dollars and some mobiles, cameras, and clothing; quite shocking actually. Anyway, at around nine I was back on our ship after three weeks; it kind of felt like we were home again.
- Meilin

Posted by meimeilin 16:36 Archived in Panama Comments (0)

Living with the Embera Indians

sunny 31 °C
View School at Sea on meimeilin's travel map.

DSC_3481.jpgThe Week at the Indians
Living with the Embera Indians was quite an experience.
A little background information on the Indians:
When the Spanish invaded the New World the Emberas like all Indians were threatened by the Spanish to move and the Spanish attempted to convert them to Christians. However, the Emberas didn’t agree so they had to flee for the Spanish conquistadores. Consequently, they now live spread throughout Panama. Still they aren’t treated equally. The Panamanian government doesn’t treat them equally. A dam was built on the lake where the Indians live by, this caused the lake to flood and thus they had to leave everything behind and build a new town. The government promised a sort refund for the damage, but even after the Emberas started a law suit against them the government hasn’t done anything. Nonetheless, they still survive and try their best keep their cultures living.
Now I will tell you what I experienced in the short five days I was there:
DAY 1: We arrived in a little Kuna village at the edge of the river at sunset. After the long trip everyone was tired and needed a bed. The teachers had said we might have to walk through the jungle with our bags. If that would have been the case, I probably wouldn’t have made it more than fifteen minutes. My bag was incredibly heavy, but I don’t understand why! I didn’t even really pack too much extra. In the Kuna village we got into boats. Ours was really long, but very thin. This meant that with every step the boat leaned sharply to one side. With our slightly too large hiking bags we got into the boats and motored across the river at sundown.
The view was utterly beautiful. Around us there was no concrete, only greenery and a very large lake. At dark we arrived in the Indian village. Turned out the village was located next to the river. This meant no walking! We split up into our mentor groups and left to our hut. The hut I stayed as was the most “luxurious” of them all. It consisted of two floors. On the bottom floor there was a little store that sold cola and those kinds of drinks. We slept on the top floor, literally on the floor. Everybody had a luxurious mattress which blows itself up, which makes sleeping on the floor not as bad. But my mattress was just foam, very thin foam so I basically slept on the floor. However, one of the people in our hut decided to sleep in a hammock which meant that I got to have their mat. Which was also the same as mine, but then it at least didn’t feel like I was sleeping on the floor. Also, we had mosquito nets which were really a savior because otherwise I would have been killed by the amount of mosquitoes.
After we were totally settled, we had dinner which was fish and some sort of potato called Yuka. It was actually quite tasty. We were so tired after this that we went to bed.
Oh but before we went to bed we had our first bathroom experience. The toilet was a hole in the ground with a cement cylinder. I accidentally pointed the flashlight in the hole and saw what happened down there. Well, I won’t tell you about it but it was disgusting. Anyway, after this trip my goal was to go to the toilet as little as possible.
We were really surprised that they have electricity! When its dark their electricity generators turn on, so they can watch TV and charge their mobiles.
DAY 2: At 7:30 we woke-up and had breakfast. The breakfast was really delicious. Eggs with fried bread! We hadn’t had proper eggs in forever. We also got a sort of porridge which wasn’t very edible, according to me. After our breakfast our family put us to work. We had to cut down grass and trees with a machete. I also stomped grains, which is a lot more work than you would think. For lunch we had rice and lentils. After lunch we went swimming in the river. Then we chilled till dinner and went to bed. Life in the village is not very eventful, but peaceful.
DAY 3: We had to wake-up at 7:00 since we were going to the jungle to look for animals. Everybody was split into three groups and each morning we did something else. Breakfast was fried patacones, which is kind of a banana (tastes like french-fries), a tomato fish sauce, and the same porridge as the day before. At 8:00 we went off to the jungle and we didn’t see a single animal, except for some birds… At around 11:30 we were back and then we didn’t do anything till lunch. After lunch, which was fish soup and rice, we didn’t do much either. But at 16:00 we got a speech from the head of the Emberas from that region. He told us about their cultures and history. After about two hours of listening to his speech, which started to become a bit boring. At that point it was already time to eat dinner and after dinner there was a “party”. One of the Emberas from the hut organized it. It was actually kind of weird because they were dancing salsa, but it wasn’t really salsa. They kind of made it their own dance. This shows that their traditions are kind of fading and the Panamanian culture is starting to mix with their own culture. After watching for a while, we went and chilled and then went to bed. By the way, there were a lot of children in the village and they were really cute!
DAY 4: We woke-up a bit too late and we went to cut down trees with machetes. But being the klutz I am, I cut myself in the leg with a machete. I was aiming for a tree, but missed and hit my leg. The scar was really long but luckily not deep. It did however, bleed quite some. So I just sat down. Not to worry however, because it didn’t get infected or anything. After lunch which was chicken with rice we didn’t do anything. Some went swimming but I didn’t feel like it, so I just chilled with some people. In the late afternoon we attempted to wash our hair in their “shower”. The shower there is actually just a tap. Our dinner that day was delicious! We got rice that was cooked in banana leaves with fish. The there is so fresh, they catch it the day before. After dinner we chilled, again, and then off to our ‘beds’.
DAY 5: On the last full day at the Indians, we woke up to go to the cave. Breakfast was probably fish and rice. Our group, together with two Indians, was brought to a cave in a boat. First we had to climb up a part of a mountain but after half a minute of climbing we arrived at the cave. As soon as we entered it turned extremely dark. Of course, I left my flashlight on the ship since the batteries were out and didn’t think it would be necessary. However, it really was. Not only did I need the flashlight in the cave, I also needed it throughout our trip with the Indians. When it was dark, you could literally see nothing when walking from hut to hut. Anyways, it was pitch dark in the cave and also quite humid. The Embera didn’t exactly know where he was taking us so we were just going randomly through some cave. At one point we had to climb up between the stalagmites and stalactites. While climbing up I didn’t see a stalactite so I hit my head really hard. It hurt; however, after standing for a while I decided just to walk on. Together with four others we were the last part of the group, so we fell behind a bit but were catching up. After climbing up we had to jump down, for me this went smoothly but my friend’s foot got caught behind a stalagmite, fell and twisted her ankle. Now we had seriously fallen behind and only one of us had a flashlight. We screamed to see if they could hear us because the cave spitted into two directions, but it remained silent. After screaming for a bit we finally got a reply and knew which direction to go. My friend, however, could barely walk so together with the Indian and some other people who didn’t feel like climbing through the cave anymore, went back to the boat. I decided to stay, if I got this far I wanted to see some more. We waited in the cave for the Embera to come back and then went on. After some time we couldn’t go any further and turned back. Also, it started getting humidor in the cave and warmer. With the boat we returned back to the village where I went to my hut to have lunch. Following the lunch we had some time to relax and then the Emberas showed us their traditional dance and craft works. I noticed that most of the Indians didn’t remember the dance, they were giggling and only the older woman knew exactly what she was doing. This is another example of how their culture is fading away. Their crafts consisted mostly of woven little baskets or things to put your jewelry in but there were also a lot of wood figures since there is an Embera whose hobby and job is wood figures. When we were with them, he was building his own house. After this we had dinner and chilled a little more. Then there was another party, however this one was organized purely for our departure. This time with my friend I decided to participate, which was quite amusing. We were ‘forced’ to dance with some Embera guys which was rather hilarious, especially since we had no idea what they were doing. Like I said before it was a sort of weird form of salsa. Before I went to bed I packed a little bit for our parting the next morning.
DAY 6: For breakfast we got our beloved fried breads but more and more people were getting diarrhea probably from drinking the unclean water and therefore didn’t feel like having the breads. This meant that the guys could have more, so one of the guys ate four of those fried breads and I can tell you that after two of these I have more than enough. After some major packing which took about half an hour we had to say good-bye to our family. One of the girls from the family wanted to take a picture with each one of us. The kids were really cute during the good-bye, they all wanted to hug us and they were so thankful with the presents we gave them. One of them, Erika, who is five, said to one of the guys “tu es mi amigo!” – “you are my friend!”At about 10:00 we left for the Kuna village, apparently during the day the waves on the river get higher. This was quite noticeable because on the way there we barely got wet but on the way back there constantly were waves coming into the boat. To protect my bag from the waves I put the rain cover on and the sat under the rain cover with my bag. Our entire boat was sheltering under the rain covers which probably looked ridiculous. Finally after about an hour we arrived on the other side and waited for our bus during which we discussed our trip at the Indians. We got into the bus, which luckily had air-conditioning, and left for Panama City.
Well, this was my experience at the Indians, which I found quite an extraordinary experience. If you want to live with Indians and experience their culture and tradition I would recommend living with the Emberas for some time. Not only will it be interesting for you, it will also help them. However, I must say that I won’t visit them again, experiencing this one time was enough for me.

Posted by meimeilin 16:32 Archived in Panama Tagged indians Comments (0)

(Entries 16 - 20 of 59) « Page 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 .. »